Want to join our team?
Are you a Quality Assurance Person excited about the emerging Cannabis industry?
Broken Coast is growing, and we’re looking to add a Quality Assurance Manager with the drive and skill to assist us in developing and maintaining a world class, licensed cannabis production facility located in Duncan, BC.
WHO WE ARE
Broken Coast Cannabis is a cannabis cultivator and processor based in British Columbia, licensed under the Cannabis Act. We are proud to be Canadian owned and operated, and pride ourselves on our quality product and personal service.
Reporting to the Director of Quality, the QA Manager will serve as an integral member of the management team and interact cross functionally to ensure business objectives are aligned and the business excels at meeting its quality and business goals.
This person will directly manage the QA team and be responsible for ensuring that quality systems are established, maintained and compliant with the Cannabis Regulations as well as with other regulatory and business requirements.
The ideal candidate will have experience in leading quality teams, as well as managing internal audits, recall programs, product release, SOP authoring and approval, and other elements of a functioning quality management system in a regulated manufacturing environment. They will also need a strong working knowledge of highly regulated manufacturing environments for consumer goods, such as cannabis, food & beverage, or pharmaceutical.
- Function as the Quality Assurance Person on the Cannabis Processing licence for the site.
- Oversee quality programs pertaining to production, storage, packaging, labeling, release, and other related Good Production Practices for compliance with the regulations.
- Support continuous quality improvement of cannabis production through reinforcement of product quality programs, and sanitation program.
- Work with the regulatory group on interpretation of documents and reports pertaining to the Cannabis Act and Regulations, Food and Drugs Act (FDA), Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) and Pest Control Products Act (PCPA), and other applicable regulatory requirements.
- Develop, approve, and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Quality Manual components.
- Oversee critical/technical review of documents, test results, procedures, and production equipment, including equipment qualification and validation as needed.
- Collaborate with the scientific group on review of certificates of analysis and results of laboratory tests for compliance to specification.
- Investigate product non-conformances; conduct material reviews for complaints, and document findings and responses.
- Carry out product recalls according to applicable regulations and other quality and regulatory requirements as required.
- Manage procedures and processes pertaining to incidents, complaints, deviations, and recall.
- Assist the regulatory group in responding to audit and information requests from Health Canada pertaining to Quality Assurance.
- Be accountable for final batch review and release, including review of lab results.
- Guide and advise CAPA review & approval.
- Oversee the management of the Complaint program to ensure all critical trends are addressed appropriately and investigations are handled, including adverse event reporting.
- Oversee and direct raw material control systems.
- Efficiently & effectively make accurate assessments of failures to correct root cause to ensure continuous improvement.
- Provide guidance to the all other areas of the facility with respect to GPP.
- Manage departmental budgets and provide performance reporting as required.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with operations to promote openness and compliance.
- Perform duties as required by senior management.
- Develop and maintain a workplace culture that is aligned with the company’s vision and values.
- Promote diversity and inclusion.
- Direct QA team in aspects of organizational structure, professional development, compensation and personnel policies.
- Provide mentoring and coaching support to individuals/team to enhance knowledge and skills.
- Communicate expectations, roles and responsibilities to team members.
- Implement effective communication strategies, listen well, encourage open exchange of information and ideas.
- Be able to manage conflict and work with all parties to negotiate and collaborate to resolve issues judiciously and empathetically.
- Provide regular feedback on performance.
- Undertake annual performance review with staff.
- Ensure department goals and targets are met professionally.
- Support and challenge others to achieve professional and personal goals.
- Provide ongoing training and allow continued staff development.
- Build effective teams by facilitating an environment of collaboration and cooperation to achieve results.
- Determine labour requirements based on operating plan, assess labour scheduling for efficiencies and work with HR to source labour.
- Model qualities such as honesty, integrity, resilience and confidence.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION & CORE COMPETIENCIES
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in life sciences, engineering, or related discipline.
- Minimum 5-10 Years of experience in Quality management in a regulated manufacturing environment, preferably familiar with GPP, GMP, and HACCP systems.
- Familiarity with the Cannabis Act and Regulations an asset.
- Chemistry or plant knowledge an asset.
- Experience authoring and reviewing technical documentation & SOPs.
- Familiarity with batch record and pharmaceutical processing requirements.
- Experience establishing and maintaining version control standards, policies, procedures and workflows.
- Strong leadership, mentoring, and team-building skills.
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and analytical skills.
- Experience with lean environments an asset.
- A desire and ability to collaborate and succeed with others.
Sound interesting? Email us with your resume and cover letter at firstname.lastname@example.org or directly online at Indeed and tell us why you’d be an excellent addition to the Broken Coast team! Please cite competition number 19-0417 when applying.
Broken Coast thanks all applicants in advance for your interest – but only those shortlisted will be contacted. We look forward to hearing from you!